This section will tell you all the main things you may want to know about Allopathy to help you make the right choice of medicine or treatment for solving your particular health problem. Below, there is a listing of Q&A with doctor / health expert replies to questions pertaining to Allopathy, followed by list of Allopathy related articles on the site.
Education is the key to knowing what is right and what is not right for you. We hope we will be able to help you in making a better choice regarding the right healthcare for you.
If you feel any information needed by you is missing here (or you wish to provide feedback) please email us at email@example.com or use the feedback form on the site. We will try to add it after due research and consultation with relevant experts. We wish to collaborate with you in having a healthier world and look forward to interact.
Allopathy is the system of medical practice which treats diseases by the use of remedies which produce effects opposite to the ones caused by the disease under treatment. This term ‘Allopathy’ was coined in 1842 by C. F. S. Hahnemann. He tried to designate Allopathy as contrary to the usual practice of Homeopathy.
Allopathy is Conventional Medicine today and is the direct product of modern science with billions of dollars spend in medical research by leading medical houses and pharmaceutical companies. It has revolutionized the world with cures to many acute diseases and care in emergency conditions discovered over the recent years. Many modern surgical procedures are an outcome of progress in Allopathy. It is the primary form of medicine the world over and has a large network of educational institutions and care giving organizations with the highest number of qualified doctors in the world.
Despite the amazing success and spread of Allopathy, however, it has not been able to provide much relief in chronic disease conditions. Also, since the drugs are synthetic (manufactured in labs, not natural) they are prone to create side-effects in users. Therefore, it is imperative to learn the strengths as well as weaknesses of Allopathy and known when it is most advisable to go for Allopathy. You can also read our article on this.
Read our article: CALL OF ALLOPATHY - When Allopathy Comes First
Allopathy works on the principle of ‘Contraria Contrariis Curantur’ which means opposite is treated by the opposite. Basically it is a conventional form of treatment in which the drugs have the exact opposite effects to the symptoms. As of this moment Allopathy recognises both the factors, virulence of the attacking microbes as well as weakened defence mechanism of our body, responsible for the diseases.
The purpose of Allopathy or modern medicine is to relieve suffering of the patient. Diagnosis of the health condition or disease is done by taking a detailed history of the condition from the patient to understand the onset and cause of the same. Elaborate tests are conducted in laboratories such as blood tests, urine tests, etc. and different examinations are done using modern medical machines to get reports like X-rays, Ultrasound, CT scan, etc. to aid the diagnosis process.
Finally, to heal the patient, the doctor uses different means such as therapeutic drugs, psychotherapy, physiotherapy, surgery and last but not the least, lifestyle reform. With the rapid speed of research and discovery in modern medicine, the doctor must keep up-to-date with the progress in the field to treat his patients in the most effective manner.
The history of Allopathy mainly comprises of three parts:
1. The Era of Miasmus
a) During the 18th century the dominant theory was the four humor theory
b) This theory implied bad air (miasma) as the cause of Cholera, etc.
c) But this theory gradually lost out on credibility and was finally replaced
2. Age of Heroic Medicine
a) This age saw the emergence of the Aggressive Method of Therapy
b) Methods included venesection, purging, vomiting, blistering, etc.
c) One of the major advocates of this system was Benjamin Rush
d) Although accepted in the medical forum it proved to be more harmful than beneficial
3. Age of Scientific Medicine
a) Increasing casualties of The Civil War led people to delve into the cause of disease
b) John Snow and Louis Pasteur were the pioneers of Bacteriology in Europe
c) In America Dr. William Mayo introduced antiseptic surgery in his personal clinic
d) Improved education paved the path for Scientific Medicine as the leading ideology
Allopathy is Modern Science. It is the product of modern science and its study of medicine over the past many years. Every drug/medicine or medical device or procedure/test in Allopathy is allowed to enter the market only through thorough testing and validation. All drugs pass the Randomized Controlled Trial Method which is the Gold Standard of Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) or in other words, medicine supported by Modern Science. Modern medicine is the topic of continuous research for doctors, scientists and big pharma. It has evolved by leaps and bounds over the past few decades thanks to the scientific rigour applied to the field. It is therefore also a tightly regulated field with regulatory agencies like the FDA in US and similar agencies worldwide keeping a strict vigil on the quality and efficacy of various drugs/medicines, treatments, medical tests & procedures, medical devices as well as education. All doctors in the field are highly qualified and certified by authorized medical colleges and it is the only field of medicine which is truly standardized, tested and regulated the world over.
Allopathy is broadly divided into two categories: Medicine and Surgery.
|Medicine Specialties||Surgery Specialties|
2. Cardiovascular Medicine
5. Respiratory Medicine
6. Pediatric Medicine
9. Critical care Medicine
12. Psychiatric Medicine
1. General Surgery
2. GI Surgery
8. Orthopedic Surgery
9. Dental Surgery
1. Allopathy, in most of the cases, is very effective with fast outcome.
2. Treatment is based on evidence; each medicine undergoes trial.
3. Modern and highly technical instruments are available for diagnosis.
4. Clinical acumen of the physicians in this field is a big factor; they are highly trained.
5. Availability is high, doctors are available almost everywhere and medicines can be procured from standard pharmacies easily.
6. Acute conditions are best treated with Allopathy and emergency conditions are almost always treated with Allopathy.
7. Allopathy is a highly standardized and regulated field of medicine with various drug regulatory bodies like FDA in US keeping strict check on quality and certifications.
1. Most medicines have side effects.
2. Treatment is generally symptomatic, cause may be ignored - even if all the drugs undergo trial, correction of specific symptom does not guarantee removal of root cause, albeit in last few years many antibiotics have been discovered which can take care of this issue by eliminating the causative organism.
3. Many drugs after long-term usage render the natural human system ineffective. For example sleep inducing drugs can produce sleep, but the natural sleep cycle gets disturbed and dysfunctional.
4. A drug may be effective for a certain amount of time but once that drug is discontinued there can be severe repercussions. One good example is XANAX which could reduce panic attacks but stoppage led to increased frequency of panic attacks.
5. Most of the research data, if repeated, may not produce the same result leading to doubt about the credibility of the study.
6. In these days the diagnosis of a disease is mostly based on various investigations which are quite expensive unless covered by insurance.
7. Wrong diagnosis can prove to be fatal.
Diseases managed by the two categories under Allopathy i.e. Medical and Surgical are as follows:
1. Gastrointestinal: Peptic ulcer disease, Crohn’s disease, Diarrhoea, Cirrhosis, Colitis
2. Neurological: Epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, Headache, Stroke, Myopathy
3. Kidney: Nephrotic Syndrome, Nephritic Syndrome, Nephropathy, Nephritis, Renal failure
4. Endocrinal: Diabetes, Hypo/Hyperthyroidism, Thyroiditis, Osteoporosis
5. Cardiovascular: Hypertension, Arrhythmia, Valvular Heart Disease, Congenital Heart Disease, Rheumatic heart disease, Coronary Artery disease
6. Respiratory: Asthma, Bronchitis, Respiratory Failure, TB, Pneumonia
7. Cancers: Breast cancer, Cervical Cancer, Skin Cancer, Prostatic Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Colon Cancer
1. Gastrointestinal: Hernia, Appendicitis, Stomach/Liver/Colon cancers, GB stone, Diverticulitis
2. Endocrine: Thyroid tumors, Insulinoma, Parathyroid surgery
3. Neurological: Head injury (Intracerebral Haemorrhage), Spinal cord trauma, Hydrocephalus, Venous malformations
4. Renal: Bladder Stone, BPH, Kidney Stone, Urolithiasis
5. Cardiothoracic: CABG, Congenital heart disease, Valve replacement, Lung resection
6. Orthopedic: Various fractures, Knee/Hip replacement
7. Eye: Cataract, Glaucoma, Myopia, Dacryocystitis
8. ENT: TM perforation, Mastoiditis, Tonsillitis, DNS
9. Gynaecology: Childbirth, Infertility, Pelvic Reconstructive surgery, Abortion
10. Cancers: Breast cancer, Cervical Cancer, Skin Cancer, Prostatic Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Colon Cancer
1. What are the diseases best managed by Allopathy?
The acute and emergency conditions (Heart attack, stroke etc.) are best treated by Allopathy along with infectious diseases (Malaria, Typhoid etc.)
2. What are the advantages of Allopathy?
The biggest strength of Allopathy that it is completely science based. It does not work on assumptions. Everything comes into the fore only after extensive research and studies.
3. What are the side-effects of Allopathic medicines?
It depends on the medication you are using. Make sure that you know all the side-effects from the consultant before taking any medication.
4. What is the importance of completing a course of antibiotics in Allopathy treatment?
It is really vital to complete the course of antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor as there are chances of re-infection or incomplete cure if you don’t do so.
5. Can I combine Alternative Medicine with Allopathy for Chronic Diseases like Arthritis, low back pain, etc.?
Yes, you can. But it is advisable to consult the doctors from both the disciplines before doing it.
6. How inevitable is surgery if I am advised one?
In certain situations it may be necessary to go for surgery. However, in my most case a non-surgical cure can be adopted. It is important for you to seek opinions of different well-established doctors when you are advised surgery by one. An online objective health portal like HealthPurify can help you get an accurate second opinion. Also, you must explore other safe options in alternative medicine that can effectively cure your problem in a non-invasive manner. For this, it is very important to choose a well qualified and trusted doctor in alternative medicine and you must consult your current doctor as well before you go for it. Ask a Doctor / Health Expert to get a second opinion on HealthPurify.
You can send us more of your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get them answered by top experts of the field.